The Tomah church of Christ was established in order to share the message of Jesus with people in and around the Tomah community. The purpose was and is to provide people with a place where individual spiritual decisions and viewpoints can be developed.
Each person is encouraged to search the scriptures for answers to spiritual questions. Assistance and guidance is offered but creedal statements and hierarchical positions on doctrinal questions will not be issued by ministers or other leaders of the church. In this way each person’s beliefs shall be formulated through their personal study of God’s word. While this approach may sound as if it would produce a chaotic and confused theology, it actually produces unity and understanding.
The Bible is considered the inspired record of narratives and guidelines set forth by God to be our only authority in matters of faith and practice. Utmost respect is given to the scriptures and to the individuals who read and draw conclusions based upon God’s Word.
Seven Guiding Principles have been adopted to facilitate this approach
1) People are accepted and encouraged to start growing from where they are.
2) People are encouraged to grow at their own pace.
3) People are encouraged to build upon their past religious heritage but they are also challenged to make changes when growth suggests a break with beliefs which are found to be scripturally unsound.
4) Development and use of Christian gifts is encouraged.
5) Participation in large group, small group and one on one Bible studies is encouraged.
6) An open discussion of faith questions is encouraged.
7) Scripture is the guiding authority in establishing and maintaining all church programs.